Essential Competencies + Skills:
- Develop and monitor key performance indicators, effectively manage and improve operational cost, quality and service levels, provide alignment of activities and resources and assess/manage risks by auditing performance against all operational objectives and compliance requirements.
- Drive continuous improvement as well as training, mentoring and developing the team in the principles of Lean and 5S through real application of improvement events and drive culture throughout the value streams.
- Collaborate with internal colleagues to drive the philosophy and implementation of a continuous improvement program to deliver upon the organization’s objectives through leadership and direct participation at the local and enterprise level.
- Provide communication and motivation to staff and monitor individual performance by observation and review of various productivity metrics for the development of a productive work team.
- Collaborate with HR to design and implement effective recruiting, hiring, performance management & training programs for employees and supervisors resulting in a high-performance work force.
- Collaborate with HR to co-lead and develop human safety program that achieves full OSHA compliance and builds and breeds a behavior-based culture of safety.
- Provide leadership for staff in establishing/maintaining organizational culture and implementing change management initiatives.
- Review analyses of activities, costs, operations and forecast data to determine department progress toward stated goals and objectives; developing and maintaining department budgets.
- Foster a success-oriented, accountable environment within the company by building a great working environment for the contributors and attracting, developing, retaining and motivating the talent required to be a high performing team.
- Lead/Participate in acquisition due diligence and integration activities.
- Participate in developing and maintaining annual budgets and annual operating plans that guide organizational priorities and decision-making to meet business needs.
- Ensure that APL operates in compliance with all local, state, federal and international regulations and ordinances including FDA, OSHA, MPCA, EPA, etc. and applicable APL policies and procedures.
Manufacturing and Production
- Lead the Production Team to continuously improve safety, product attainment, quality, productivity and lead time performance.
- Develop, install and ensure compliance to Production and Process Control SOP’s in support of APL Quality Management System (QMS) in accordance to regulatory requirements.
- Ensure capacity at appropriate costs to support assurance of supply to APL Customers.
- Develop and implement methods for analyzing production, system data integrity, effective labor productivity and utilization and equipment utilization.
- Optimize product manufacturing across locations including working with manufacturing and subcontracting sites to develop costing models to support improvement initiatives.
- Assess, identify and document internal manufacturing capabilities and participate in the process of make versus buy decisions, selecting the best manufacturing options for new or existing products.
- Other duties as beneficial to APL
Facilities and Maintenance Management
- Oversee the team responsible for maintaining the facilities and grounds
- Identify fixed asset reconfiguration and improvement needs; create and execute action plans to ensure consistent and reliable plant performance
- Ensure operational readiness of equipment by ensuring proper maintenance and evaluating new equipment and techniques.
Distribution and Warehousing
- Provide oversight to warehouse operations (receiving, material handling, warehousing and distribution) and direct the warehouse team to achieve objectives related to service levels, productivity and safety.
- Assist in long term planning to determine future capacity requirements for new equipment, inventory, workforce management systems and facilities.
- Identify process improvement opportunities by continuous review of distribution center operations and subsequently lead the implementation of appropriate continuous improvement methodologies.
- Manage the commercial relationships with freight forwarders and 3rd party logistics providers (3PL’s)
- Ensure safety processes and procedures are documented, communicated and implemented.
Education: B.S. degree in Engineering, Industrial Technology, Operations Management or related technical discipline with equivalent experience
Work Experience: Minimum of ten (10) years of Operations experience in a manufacturing and distribution environment.
Travel Requirement: Generally less than 10%; Up to 25% during various periods.